Wednesday, March 01, 2017

We're the Only Ones Caring Enough

Ex-police chief sets new gun violence paradigm -- care about every victim [More]
Yeah, and then what? Care enough to let you and yours pass edicts to disarm me and mine? Because after all the hand-wringing and lamentation, there always seems to be a bill or two waiting to be passed.

Sorry, but to put it bluntly, there are some career criminals being killed by other career criminals whose removal from society results in a net benefit. And again, sorry if I'm being "paranoid," but I can't help wonder if the hyperbole of calling background gunfire "white noise" is a dig of some kind.

Here's the crux of the issue:
“How many people here know somebody who has been shot?” asked Alderman Antonio French, one of the six mayoral candidates who attended the forum, including all the front-runners. Nearly every hand in the auditorium was raised.
Curious. Aside from some veterans who saw action, I don't know anyone and never have. And I'm smack-dab in the heart of the much-reviled "gun culture," an NRA Life Member, a gun owner for decades, and all my friends and most of my close relatives own guns, too.

How is it we can lead such violence-free lives?

Is it just possible that maybe it's not the guns?

[Via bondmen]

3 comments:

Steve said...

I don't know anyone who has been shot, either. I'm curious to know the circumstances of how the people they know were shot. How many were actually innocent victims? How many were actively engaged in criminal activity? And if the latter, why do you associate with them?

Anonymous said...

That does it! I'm suing Glock! My sidearm has never killed anyone, so it must be defective!

GaryM said...

I know one fellow who's been shot, by himself at an action pistol match. Other than that, nada. It's not the guns, it's the culture